Thursday, May 16, 2013

Capsule Wardrobes- I finally get it...

So all of my shopping life I've been told to buy pieces to go with multiple pieces and of course that has always seemed obvious, but since I saw this
 http://outfitposts.blogspot.com/2012/12/summary-one-suitcase-beach-vacation.html#.UZUM67WTj94

blog while looking for things to pack for our upcoming beach vacation that I started to get "it."  I thought how easy this would be to do for the vacation (cause you know I'm the queen of packing light anyway.)  I like how while not matchy matchy everything goes together to create a variety of outfits.

I am notorious for wearing the same 7-8 outfits in the same 7-8 ways and it wasn't until I saw this

http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2013/02/how-to-create-a-capsule-wardrobe-on-a-budget-emerson-big-w.html

blog that it was explained to me in a way that even I can get.  This lady took

2 Jackets
6 Shirts
4 bottoms

and created 21 outfits.  (See her blog for a break down and a great picture of all 21 outfits she created.)

After reading her blog, I thought "I could do this" (without buying a single piece of clothing) and change up my wardrobe.  So I picked things directly from my closet.  And I took her advice about not worrying about how many shoes or accessories.  I just wear whatever floats my boat each morning.  The point of this exercise for me was to wear things differently than I always do.  Here's what I chose.





2 Jackets 

a pink Jacket (I know. What???  Me in pink...I already owned it and it's a trendy color this season, so I'm stepping out of the comfort zone)  and a jean jacket

6 shirts 
solid green, solid blue, black button up, sea foam button up, a white tank, a navy and white tank (I have a pattered shirt in the picture, but decided that I didn't really like the way it looks in this particular capsule after taking the picture, but before actually starting to wear the outfits.)

4 bottoms
Black pants, gray pants, red shorts, and blue and white striped pants

And I threw in my stripy dress for good measure.

Here are a few pictures of the outfits that I've created.  (Please note that most of these were taken after a long day of working with very small children, so I'm a crumpled mess.)



I have to sew the front of my button- up shirts together or they pooch and show my bra.  If that isn't something you do, you could use the button ups for layering.  (The very idea makes me sweat.) 



( Miles took this one)

And here are some pictures of me changing it up by just pairing different jackets.  




And here is one that I think is kinda a fail... I just don't like the overall look... 



Anyway the point of this experiment has been successful.  I am wearing things in different ways than I have previously.  Today I'm wearing the green shirt with gray pants and my green and silver polar bear necklace.  I have never worn this particular combination together before.  But now that I have, I like it.  

And as they say on those fashion shows... Dollars spent = $0.  

I would encourage each of you to shop in your closet and pick out 2 jackets (or sweaters), 6 shirts, and 4 bottoms that coordinate and start mixing things up.      

It's fun.  And even those of us that are not particularly "girly girls" enjoy "dress-up" play from time to time.  



3 comments:

  1. I like this idea! I might have too try it! I'm kind of the extreme. Either I'm completely matchy matchy or not coordinated at all, which can get me some odd looks at work! I'm going to work on this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hope you have as much fun as I did. The second link really spells out how she creates a capsule, so I recommend that one for the how to.

      Delete