Monday, September 30, 2013

Things Not Discussed at Grandma's Dining Room Table

Today my brother blogged about perception and how everyone's view of a situation (even if they were present for the same event) is different.

This got me thinking about just how many conversations we as adults have that are about politics and religion.  It seems to me that now more than another time in my very short history people are willing and often make the icebreaker in a social situation something about their religious or political views.  I think that one of the things that is hardest for me as an adult interacting in society.

My mom is one of 8.  Grandma had a strict no politics or religion at the dinner table rule.  I think that this was to avoid annoying arguments among her children who have varying viewpoints.  (At least at the dinner table.)  And as a child that was the time that children did most off their interacting with the adults was when we paused from play to eat.  Otherwise, we were expected to be outside playing.  This has lead me to have the personal perception that a persons view on religion and politics are a private matter.  Not that you don't discuss them.... Just among close friends and family.  And "NOT AT THE DINNER TABLE!" to quote Grandma.  

I am surprised at people's willingness to put their views out on the internet (She says as she's doing that vary thing.)  It seems that the perception is, that if someone has put a viewpoint out about an issue that a particular political party holds that they are expected to like everything that that party does or every vote that that party sides with.  When I doubt this is true for anyone.  I remember that on election day when I was in high school, but not yet old enough to vote, I asked my mom who she voted for.  I remember her telling me that it was not my business.  That I needed to make my own decisions about each race and candidate.  

She had a very similar view of religion.  She encouraged my brother and I to attend a variety of churches so we could grow to make informed decisions about what we believe and live our lives accordingly.

After I've had a child of my own and had graduated from college, I know that I've had far more discussions about politics and religion as a family and certainly with my group of friends (some of the best around campfires).

But NEVER at the dinner table.

No comments:

Post a Comment