Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Bees in Trees

Sunday we went out to play in the yard and a HUGE limb (3-4 inches in diameter) had fallen off of the Oak in the front yard, so I decided to make some little tree cookies for Miles to play with at home.  (He likes the ones at school so much.)  I was about half way done when I came across some that had a nice round hole in the middle.  On the next cut...



I cut a BEE in half!! 


The one behind him seemed non to pleased to be disturbed from his nap.


And started crawling out of the end of the log.


Upon further inspection we found a hole in the side of the log that the bees had entered.  

I sat the piece of log with the bee half in and half out next to the back door to see what would happen.  The next day the log was empty of the bees.  I hope that they will be able to survive.  I know that they are an integral part of the ecosystem.  And for the selfish reasons of having the flowers in my yard pollinated.  

There will be a future post about what Miles did with the tree cookies I cut from this very branch.  

   



No comments:

Post a Comment