Saturday, August 31, 2013

An Ode to Tractor Paint

I have a confession to make.  I always park in the same row when I go to big box stores, the grocery store, or the mall.  (Not that I'm much of a shopper, but I ALWAYS park in the same row.  Some people may think this is kinda kooky or OCD or something, but that's the "way I roll.")

sea of cars 


So "Why?" you ask.  Because then I can find my car.  I am always lost in a sea of cars that are beige (and now silver since that's the new beige) and all cars look practically the same.  I have a theory.  If you took the badges off the same type of car from the same year, unless you're a "car guy," you'd never be able to tell the difference.



The solution to this, I think, is tractor paint.  If you have a ding that you need to cover up get creative... Don't spend $4.99 on a tinny little paint pen to fix a scratch or ding.  Take inspiration from the Frog Follies and be creative.  Get a whole gallon of tractor paint for just a little more than a tiny paint pen and add flames, a racing stripe, or a big monkey.  You will NEVER loose your car in the parking lot again.


So why tractor paint?

  1. It's inexpensive.  ($20/gallon at the Rural King.) 
  2. It goes on smoothly with a Harbor Freight paint gun.
  3. It comes in a multitude of colors that when mixed could be any color you could possibly dream up.  


Since Chris and I have been married, we have painted.... 6 different cars.  Some of them the stock color, some of them not. Some of them professional jobs, some of them rattle can jobs in the back yard.  (We have never used a roller on a car.  Leave that for the walls!) Most of the time it has been to fix a "slight imperfection" such as the paint peeling up from the car catching on fire.  The most recent car we painted is Chris' race car, so we were creative...



And I venture to say... Even I couldn't loose this car in the "Big Box Store" parking lot.


No comments:

Post a Comment