Friday, August 2, 2013

Magic Shiny Pennies

I used my master's degree today!! One of the classes that I took was a wonderful science class that allowed us to learn about science concepts hands on with objects around the house that a teacher can afford.

Miles was told by Chris that he could have all the pennies that he would take out of the floorboard of the new race car.  (There were roughly 100.)  He spent about 5 minutes picking up some and putting them in a jar.  Then he said the others were too dirty.  I convinced him that I knew a "magic" way to make pennies shiny once again.

Today's experiment takes salt, vinegar, and pennies.

First: Lay out the pennies on a cookie sheet to keep the mess contianed.



Second: Sprinkle the pennies liberally with salt.


Third: Squirt the salt covered pennies with the vinegar to remove the tarnish.


Fourth: We used a colander to rinse the pennies off and patted them dry with a cloth.

Here are some pennies before and after the "Magic" transformation.


I think it's important from time to time to discover the "Magic" in the world around us.  




No comments:

Post a Comment