Sunday, December 16, 2012

Old Wives Tales- Pineapple for Bruises

It seems that frequently I give the advice that my grandmother gave my mother and my mother has given me about natural ways to heal.  I often get non-believers.  Many of the tips that I have received from my foremothers use items from around the house.  I think the thing that floors me is that they don't seem to be common knowledge.  I don't know if this is because of the growth of modern medicine, and so these remedies have not needed to be passed on even though they don't hurt to try.  One of these that I most often pass on is to eat pineapple to help in the healing of bruises.  For those of you who don't know, I recently dropped a 1"x8"x8 anvil on my foot.  I didn't break it, but boy did it do a number on my foot.  I of course elevated it and put ice on it.  But I also put pineapple in my diet once a day since it happened.

Wednesday (the night it happened... after ice) My whole foot is swollen, bruised, and hurt to move.


Thursday morning It's still swollen, the bruise has settled some, and it didn't hurt once in my sneaker and iced.  


Friday Morning It really looked the best here... I had eaten a half a can of pineapple on Thursday. I ate a pineapple yogurt on Friday. 


Saturday Morning The healing bruise is starting to appear.  The swelling is down considerably.  Today I drank pineapple juice.


Sunday Morning It looks like it's healing, but I wore cute shoes yesterday instead of my sneakers and I think that that played a role in the bruise being more defined.  Today I drank more pineapple juice.  


OK... so yes the bruise is more visible this morning, but it is healing green and purple.  The swelling is all but gone... Not bad for day 4.  

I'm still in the healing process... and I will need to finish healing.  My guess that will be gone by this coming Wednesday.  I'll keep you posted.


Is eating pineapple for bruises hogwash?  I don't think so.  And more than that,  what a great excuse to add a delicious fruit to my diet.  

_______________________________________________________________

As promised here is an update...

Monday Morning - So I was smart yesterday and I went back to my sneakers and drank more pineapple juice.  Today the bruise is less festive and is now more into the brown green stage than yesterday.  Although I do have a  purple bruise that has appeared on the side of my foot just below the abrasion.  I'm still hoping for a full recovery by Wednesday.  Any takers on the bet?  




Wednesday Morning- Well I loose the bet....It's not all the way healed, but it does look considerably better.  I can still see a hint of the bruise, but over all a great recovery.




1 comment:

  1. wow I can considerable see the difference ! I will try this !!!

    ReplyDelete