Sunday, January 13, 2013

Spicy Sweet Potato Soup

It isn't often that I make up a recipe entirely from scratch.  Usually I just modify a recipe that I've found or have been given.  Some of my friends joke that I'm the queen of substitutions since I will just modify things if I don't have everything in the cupboard to make a dish.  Anyway... I digress...

I forgot to take a picture to add to the post, but Chris ate seconds.

Spicy Southern Soup

1 Can of Cream of Celery Soup
1 1/2-2 cans of water
1 cup of chopped broccoli
1/4 cup of saute'd onion
1 1/2 T of Cajun seasoning (I used Target brand, but something actually from the south could be better.) 
1/2 lb of browned Polish or Cajun sausage
2 cups of sweet potatoes (mashed) I had some frozen.

Saute the sausage with the onions.
Add all ingredients to a soup pan and bring to a simmer for at least 5 minutes, scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon to keep it from burning.

Sprinkle the top with a little paprika if you're feeling fancy.

I served it with hint of salt wheat thins and apple slices.

This was a perfect dish for the rainy day we've had today.

No comments:

Post a Comment